Last Monday night the boys were watching a DVD on our computer in the sitting room. I (Mike) was in the kitchen doing the dishes when Caleb calls out, "Daddy, I think we have a problem here."
Assuming that someone pressed the wrong button on the computer or something, I asked if they were having trouble watching the DVD.
"No, something is flying around and around in the room" Caleb calmly said.
I figured it was a big moth or some sort of flying insect. I started walking towards the room when I realized that it was a bat that was flying around and around in the sitting room! Not wanting to alarm the boys, but needing to let them know what was going on, I had to tell them it was a bat. To my surprise, neither Caleb nor Thomas freaked out. In fact they were both quite interested to see a bat in their own house.
Being the brave and quick-thinking father that I am, I knew exactly what to do. I asked one of our night watchmen to come in and catch the bat. Bambo (means "Mister" in Chichewa) Jonas walked in and started to try to catch the flying creature with his bare hands. I gave him a towel and he then had success in capturing the bat and taking him outside to set him free.
We have all the holes in our ceiling blocked up now - so hopefully we won't get any more visitors like that!