Monday, October 29, 2007

The one that got away....

If you don't like spiders, don't read any further.... I just noticed that all the stories so far are about bugs or snakes. There is more to experience here in Africa then these critters, but we seem to have had some interesting experiences so far, so here goes the next one:

Last week when we had heavy rain in the evening, we were going to put Caleb and Thomas to bed when we discovered a pretty big (about the same span as an adult male hand) spider in their room. It was moving fast, so we quickly got the boys out (they were not in their beds yet) and I (Mike) put my shoes on and went spider hunting. The first problem was that it had crawled up the inside of the boys' mosquito net (refer to picture - yes, of course I had to take a picture first). I shook it down to the floor and tried a couple times to smack it with a shoe that was in my hand, but it kept on getting back under their beds. Finally, it made it's way for the door, and with a camera in one hand and a shoe in the other, I opted to kill it as opposed to taking another picture (if you know my father, you'll understand how genetically abnormal that is for me to do). Success. The boys could sleep in peace.

A few nights later I discovered a similar spider on the inside of our mosquito net in the master bedroom. The ceiling light does not work (yet) in our bedroom so I had to leave the bedroom to get a flashlight and some shoes. But when I came back 30 seconds later, I couldn't find it anymore!! I took off all the bedsheets (carefully) but still no spider. It wasn't the most comforting feeling to know that it was still crawling around somewehre, but at least it wasn't in our bed (at least to our knowledge).